Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Patience is an Action

You know that song from long ago (the 80's) from the children's Christian music, The Music Machine, that goes:
"Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry, when you get impatient you'll only start to worry......"
I think a snail sings it in The Music Machine.
I guess I'm the snail now 'cuz I've been singing it to myself for quite a while. And the Lord keeps saying, "Wait. Listen."
So this is why I say patience is an action- because it takes serious Spirit muscles to step into this patience. And while the muscles are being stretched and strengthened it hurts and is uncomfortable. It takes a LOT of talking with God- out loud, in the shower, doing dishes, etc, etc. Sometimes I have to literally stop what I'm doing and get on my knees because I feel anxiety start to creep in.
It is an action because God is an action God- always moving, always working, always being. Patience is of the fruit of the Spirit and the Spirit is always pulling us toward action. But until now, I've never thought of patience being an action. I just pictured someone standing in line, sitting still, you know what I mean. But if I just stood here, waiting, sitting still, I would grow impatient because impatience comes from my flesh.
Nothing has become "official" yet with our house, rv, our dog, and many other things. But I am holding on to the certainty of God, not the uncertainty of this world. I pray for endurance and strength to keep pursuing the patience and peace that passes all understanding.
It's just a taste of what is to come, I know. He's got me in a comfortable setting to learn these first little bits so He can send us off into the reality of this journey. The reality of actually leaving our home, the reality of not knowing where our next dollar will come from, the reality of seeing the streets of the U.S., the reality of living in community, and on and on.
He is teaching me that patience is an action. He is teaching me how to use my shield of faith! And I praise God for how my heart is wanting more! I have tasted and seen, now there is no going back.
And for now, at this moment, I will be the snail who sings.

No comments: