Wednesday, June 18, 2008

what is ministry anyways?

So we're out here in the podunks of Oregon hobbling our way to Boise, ID. Our many bumps and inconveniences has rocked us into reality.
Honestly speaking, the planning and preparing almost made this journey a whole different world in my mind. "Going into ministry" is not what is happening. Ministry is too formal for me anymore. Even in these first couple days I'm seeing that this is just our way of forcing ourselves into the path of Jesus. Going and preaching the gospel wherever we go, making disciples. Whether that means my children, the guys who we get veggie oil from (which we haven't found ANY yet), or be ministered to by some folks at the rv park in Burns, OR.
Did Jesus do "ministry"? Or did He just do life perfectly? I am seeing it as the latter. I better look up what the word ministry actually means anyways. I'll post the definition next time.
We have left what we know , sold our possessions and headed into this life of traveling and living in an rv to truly find Jesus. I have never known what it is really like to lean on Him like this. And lean on my husband, and my friends Tim and Jenn. We have been frustrated many times so far but we continue to lift eachother up in prayer and encouragment.
Like always, our plans are nothing compared to God's. He knows what we need, when we need it. And when we make our lives available to Him, He places us in places we could never dream of.
All this to say, this is way different than I had imagined our first few days to be. But that is ok with me. We have a lot of time to see what God has up His sleeve for us.
Our next stop- Boise, ID. We are excited to work with Boise Rescue Mission and meet up with different church families along the way!
Thank you for all your prayers and encouraging words! Overall, we feel at peace and have felt His presence with us the whole time.
This is our passage for the last few days and maybe even for the rest of our time on the road:
Matthew 6:25-34 "Do not worry about your life....."

6 comments:

The Locke Family said...

Yes, the quicker we realize ministry is life (not a job, project, program, text book, or a calling) the quicker we can be at peace.
Jesus only did what he saw his Father do. Simple. We took what he did and packaged it to reach the nations.
Some how we have completely missed the aspect that Jesus obeyed.

Press on.
Love you guys.

Heath

Cheppe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheppe said...

I am sleepless tonight with the Mustard Seed Team on my heart.

Forgive my cheesiness but I have been touched buy your organic (not talking WVO either) obediance to Jesus and your desire to do no more than love people, that they may feel Christ's love. No strings, no catches, just Jesus. What a concept.

God, bless my friends the Coulombes and their partners the Fidanzos on their journey. May they impact lives for your kingdom if only by showing people the unconditional love of Christ.

Roll on Veggie Bus... Roll on

-Cheppe

Sheila said...

"This is ministry!" THAT'S what the Lord keeps speaking to my heart, turning my head to the dirty toilet that I've wiped my kids' pee off 15 times and to my tired husband, curled up on the couch watching a baseball game asking what we're eating for dinner. "This is ministry" He says to me, and requires me to to leave all my "ministry" plans to abandon myself to His service in unseen places. He has a plan, I love to see you all abandon yourselves to it! I'm glad I get to log on here and read about what's going on so while I'm wiping the toilet I can lift you up in prayer!

Be strong and courageous!
Sheila

Unknown said...

Love that we can "see" what you guys are experiencing through your words. We love you & miss you and lift you to the throne of God daily. Whenever I pray for you & Andy, Tim & Jen, God's word in Hosea rises in my spirit:

Hosea 6:3 "Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth."

Pressing on for you & with you to acknowledge of Lord in ALL things & in ALL people - Shelly

P.S. XXXOOO to Avery, Ally, & Eva!

Anonymous said...

Did Jesus do "ministry"? Or did He just do life perfectly?

I am digging those questions...I'll follow your journey across and hopefully we can meet you on the east coast.

Terry