Friday, June 6, 2008

Illusions of Normalcy

I went to graduation tonight at good ole' Woodburn High School. I didn't really want to go, but I felt like I owed it to a few of the seniors that I had connected with the past 4 years. I'm glad I did. I was able to tell more people about our ministry, and ultimately about my life change. I said to two students when they asked me why I would do something so crazy "well, to tell you the truth, I couldn't see myself going back to teaching for another 25 years and then retiring to play golf or fish or whatever" (maybe even drive around in an RV). They gave me a weird look (very typical), but then they said something that got me thinking, they both responded at the same time with "really?" - like working for 30 years, saving for retirement, and keeping your head above water financially was something you were just supposed to do.

I used to think that I had it made - was home from work by 4pm, had most of June, July and August off, and coached a sport that I absolutely loved. I felt like I was good at what I did, I had an impact on kids, and my job had meaning. Life was good. Then all of this came along. Jesus came calling. God altered my perspective on what was important, and what wasn't. He also gave me a glimpse of what His Kingdom is about - and it's not about retirement. Every once in a while things get a little tough, I can't see what is next, or I don't know if things are going to turn out OK (basically I begin to see myself outside of the sovereignty of God - never a good thing), and I want to turn back, I want to grasp on to the handle of normalcy. I quickly realize though, normalcy is an illusion.

In Numbers 14, the Israelites, fearful of what laid before them in the promised land, examined the alternative: return to slavery in Egypt.
All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, "If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn't it be better for us to go back to Egypt?" And they said to each other, "We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt." Numbers 14:2-4
Slavery is not a normalcy that I am willing to endure.

Looking towards our uncertain future, it is scary, it is hard, but the alternative is slavery. God has promised us our reward in heaven, turning around now just seems silly, boring, and unfulfilling. Turning around now would be going back to slavery. Fear wants us to go back, uncertainty wants us to turn around. No matter how uncertain our future is, returning to "normalcy" seems crazy, and I believe it would be an illusion. We may not wander in the desert for 40 years, but it would feel like it. People may give us crazy looks when we talk about our ministry, but I am not willing to sacrifice a passion for a specific calling that the Lord laid on our hearts in order to return to the illusion of normalcy.

Uncertainty is the only way to live, because that is when you know God must be sovereign in order for you to keep living.

Erwin McManus talks about how rhinocerous' can only see 30ft. in front of them, and when they are running full speed they can go in excess of 30 mph (think about that for a second). That is how I want to run this race - like a rhino, not looking back, just following God with every ounce of passion I've got. If we all did it, that pack of rhinos (ironically called a "crash") couldn't be stopped, and there would be nothing normal about us.

6 comments:

Emie Kay said...

You wrote this for me. Thanks andy. I definitely needed the reality check. . . I DO NOT want to go back to slavery. . . but I must admit, it has looked VERY tempting these last three months! Here's to Freedom!

Anonymous said...

Alright, this must be said. You do not know me, I am a friend of a friend of the Locke's. These posts have compelled me to write my thoughts for people like you to see and hopefully some eyes can be opened!

I guess my wife and I are "slaves"... you know, trying to do what is right, raise our family, pay our bills, and save for the future. How dare anyone label us in such a way! If you want to trot on down and join the 3rd world (where REAL slavery still exists by the way) and leave this great land of FREEDOM, then be my guest, but don't you dare put HARD-WORKING and honest Americans down in the process!

I love the Lord, don't get me wrong... and I am sure your heart is in the right place, but while you are out looking for your next grand adventure, someone else is working day in and day out to PAY your way to go!

Andy said...

Jeremy,

Wow, never had a comment like this before. Thanks I guess. Just so you know, this blog is just my wife and I to tell OUR story, speaking about what Jesus has done and is doing in us and through us.

To address your main concern about me labeling you as "slaves," I didn't label anyone, you labeled yourself that. I believe this is what MY family has been called to. If every believer got in an RV and traveled the country to minister to the poor and marginalized, we would have some issues.

Don't get my wrong, I love the good ole' USofA, but I don't love it more than Jesus, and I know that the Evil One can use it just like he used Rome. To quote Rage Against the Machine:

"Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite; all of which are American dreams."

In my opinion, these "American dreams" are what Satan uses to shackle us, it gives us the illusion of freedom while keeping us in the bondage of complacency and slavery.

Peace bro.

Anonymous said...

Andy,

Well thank you for your response, I am thankful my words were at least read.

In my ever so humble opinion, I believe that your viewpoint is that of an extreme liberal, verging upon that of an anarchist. I mean really, for you to quote the likes of "Rage Against the Machine?" I'm not sure if you meant that as a joke or as light-hearted, but to think that there are well-intentioned Chirstians out there quoting a radical band such as "Rage," truly blows my mind.

Look, obviously you and I will never see eye to eye on these issues, but I do hope that you will think about curbing your habits of putting down "normalcy" as an attack from Satan! We live in the greatest nation ever assembled in the modern world, and for you go on and berate the American Dream truly angers me. Please keep in mind that billions of people around the world live in extreme poverty and would claw, bite, swim, or even sever familial ties to get to our land of freedom! I beg you to open your eyes to these truths.

I am also disappointed that you did not address my point that it is upon the backs and paychecks of OTHERS that you and your family are able to go out on all sorts of wonderful adventures. Last time I checked, nobody ever wrote me a check to hop in a minivan and travel. In the same way, nobody has ever paid my rent, electric bill, or insurance either... I get up everyday and take care of my own business just like my forefathers did to make a way for those to follow. Thank you for your time.

-Jeremy

Andy said...

Jeremy,

I don't necessarily think this is the best forum to discuss this, feel free to email me with more questions / concerns.

If you would, please pick up and read a book by Ron Sider called "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger" It could also read "Rich American Christians in an Age of Hunger"

Then lets continue our discuss via email.

Peace Bro,
Andy

Anonymous said...

hey coulombe reading ALL this really inspires an azn kid to do something but i can't put my finger on it tho oh well you still rock!!^-^