Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's all about the journey!

Way back in May and June of 2000 Serenity and I took a 40 day trip around the United States to celebrate graduating with my Masters from George Fox University. We had sold my S-10 pickup and bought a 1976 Volkswagen Westfalia. This one was special, we named him Bernie. He had a rebuilt engine, just a little rust, and like all Westfalias, had a top that popped up so that you could sleep up above (you could also sleep down below - like the time we were in Yosemite and the ranger told us that we would have to take out everything that you could eat and put it in a "bear box" if we wanted to sleep with the top popped, we decided to put the top down). It had a table that you could put up in the middle, the back row would be a seat and both front seats swivled around and you could actually sit 5 people at the table. We put nearly 4,000 miles on the newly rebuilt engine. We were able to see a lot of the western United States that I had never seen, and I got to spend it with my new wife. We saw 17 states and 24 national parks. We went as far North as CourDelane, as far East as Kansas City, and as far South as the Gulf of Mexico and South Padre Island.

It was a remarkable experience, and many of you have probably heard me talk about it. It almost didn't happen. We left Portland and in the first 3 days broke down 5 times. The cylinoid quit working for a time in Beavertail, MT, then for good in Coors Ranch, MT. Then, after replacing the starter (because the rebuilt one I bought from Shuck's was no good) we broke down in Idaho Falls, ID. Then again in Jackson Hole, WY and finally in Yellowstone National Park on Memorial Day Weekend. It was awesome, I almost threw in the towel and just headed home, especially if we wouldn't have met the Smith's in Idaho Falls. As I was walking to Shuck's to get the starter I was approached by a big red-headed guy driving a big red diesel truck. He offered to give me a ride to the auto parts store. Later, after he drove me back to the WalMart parking lot where we had broken down, he invited us to stay with him and his wife and 4 kids. Turns out, he was taking his family to Eastern Europe to minister to the people of Romania as missionaries. He connected us with a mechanic that would work on our volkswagen for a minimum charge over the weekend. Three days later we were headed out on our way. One thing that Mr. Smith told me that I will never forget, sitting at his kitchen table he said, "Andy, you've got to remember, it's not about the desitnation, it's all about the journey."
There seems to be a parrallel between our journey in 2000 and our journey in 2008. Let me give you a little rundown on what has been going on with our journey thus far:


1. On our drive down to Eugene on our first day out the return line to the diesel tank came loose and diesel began spewing everywhere as we drove down I-5.


2. As we pulled into Burns I noticed a diesel leak coming from the same area, turns out the old diesel line had been rubbing up against the metal frame and had sprang a leak.


3. As I ran to the opposite side of the RV to get my tools I opened up the storage bin door and it began to pop rivets off, probably about 15. The door began to rip away from the side of the RV. I had to use everything I had to get the door to shut and prayed for patience and the filling of His Spirit.


4. We hadn't even left Oregon yet and as we were pulling out of the Wendy's (looking for grease) I heard metal dragging - our generator exhaust had come loose and was dragging on the pavement.


If we become so interested in getting somewhere or doing something rather than being avaliable to God and learning through the journey, we miss out on what God is showing us and trying to teach us. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what God was trying to teach me with a diesel leak, but at least I am taking the time to figure it out rather than writing it off as an inconvenience and cuss at the engine or even worse curse God.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4
I need to see the diesel leaks, dragging exhaust pipes and doors falling off as pure joy, only then can I truly see what God is trying to teach me - perseverance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy! My gosh, what an adventure you and your family are on! When I think of the "little boy" I knew in Central Point and now read about the man who is leading his family on this path, I am amazed and so very proud of you!! Few of us walk the talk as you have chosen to do. Know that we pray for you, Serenity and your kids...and now for a vehicle that doesn't break down and for vegetable oil and other very practical matters~~~

May our God bless you, PROTECT you, and make His face to shine upon you. With love,
Roger and Ginna Neufeld