Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hope and Intimacy

Before I start writing, I should let you know that this is Andy's wife, Serenity, writing. I will be posting here now, so be forewarned. :)
I am crying right now. Feeling incredibly raw and emotional. I feel so thankful to have friends who are going through some transitions like us and we can comfort one another, even as we part our separate ways again. Take a moment to visit the Lockes. Heath just posted something that put my emotions and thoughts into words- thanks Heath!
As we get closer and closer to the ETD (estimated time of departure) the Lord has remained close to my heart. His presence has given me hope and has increased my intimacy with Him. I'm not really sure what comes first, hope or intimacy, but I know they both come hand-in-hand.
The thoughts of losing much of the world's security and what I have known for my whole life is scary. Our life right now is what Andy and I have always dreamed about- a beautiful house, wonderful neighborhood, a church family, steady job and income with great vacations, parks nearby, great schools, wonderful friends who live close- the American dream.
So as my mind frequently lands on these things and relationships I will be leaving the Lord tenderly takes my face to look at Him. He knows me. The intimacy that I have felt with Him as He continues to do this gives me hope which then gives me strength to keep allowing Him to take my face and speak to my heart.
Our friends, the Fidanzos, have had a very difficult week this past week. They just miscarried their first pregnancy. It is devastating. My heart broke when I heard the news and I instantly started praying against the enemy. Tim and Jen have battled this like true warriors though and I am SO proud of them. They have embraced this loss and have found the hope rather than the discouragement. God always intends for good, but it is our decision to sit and listen to the Great Counselor. If you have a moment, visit their blog, and give some encouragement.
The enemy intends to steal and destroy our hope.
There is a great quote in The Neverending Story by the scary wolf, as he explains why he is helping the Nothing destroy the world of Fantasia. He says, "Because people who have no hopes are easy to control. And whoever has control, has the power!"
No, this is not Fantasia. But Satan will do whatever he can to destroy our hope. And if we have our hopes in things that can be destroyed then we're in for a difficult and sad life. Real hope is eternal, cuz really, why would we put our hope in something that can die, turn to rust, or eaten by moths?
I have started to see something. As I take these steps outside my box into the unknown world, talking with homeless people, venturing off in an RV with three kids, leaving all that we've known, I am seeing the hope that I have a little clearer. And I know that there are so many out there who are putting their hopes in something that can and will perish someday. Knowing that my only hope is Jesus is hard to wrap my brain around. It has made me think A LOT lately. The hope that I have is a treasure that I want more understanding of. And as I meditate on what hope means, my intimacy with Jesus becomes so much more real. I couldn't say this a couple years ago, but I have now found God to be my best friend, my Savior, and my Father.

3 comments:

Tim said...

What a hope we have in Jesus! Your thoughts are uplifting as usual. Change is hard, but hopelesness is devestating. I pray the Hope becomes ever clearer to all of us.

Mama in Uganda said...

Count the cost and press on. It is not in vain what is done for the Lord! "Stand firm against the enemy and he will flee from you." Praying for you in Uganda--one ambassador to another :) All my love and a hug, too.
His love compels me, Summer

Sheila said...

I was so touched by your post and your husband's latest posts- your honesty and transparency in this is so uplifting. There are many more like you out there who have taken various steps of obedience in faith to the call of God on their lives and have faced the same harrassing doubts, fears and accusations from the enemy.

Today at the gym I was thinking on this myself, about how we "exercise" our faith by meeting resistance- some external (from other people) some internal (in the spirit). Now matter where the resistance is from, our wrestle is not against flesh and blood- others, or our own- but against spiritual forces that are only allowed to harrass us for a short time to bring resistance and thereby strength to our faith in Jesus. All the enemy's tactics fail when we continue to worship and draw close to Jesus, standing and worshiping even on our faces and in our weeping at times.

I stand with you guys in prayer and in facing the same resistance!

Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle-- 2 My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge -Psalm 144:1-2

~Sheila