Monday, March 17, 2008

Alligator


Oh my Little Alligator. She has quite the bite. She can be the sweetest thing in the world, she is compassionate, and like all of us, she loves to be loved. I delight in her. Nearly every evening she comes to me in her sweet little voice and asks "cawn we wesstle." How can I say no? She still calls "slobber" - "slobet," and she will point at your nipple and say "that's your nickle Daddy!" She will run around half the day with one sock on, and her shirt on backwards - and not care. She will ask for a napkin, and then wipe her mouth on her shirt.


Whoa, but watch out. If you don't slow down and look her in the eye when she needs you to, or lose your temper and not speak with kind words, her heart will break, her eyes will melt your heart, and then she will trample right over you with her strong will. She can be ferocious. I watched her once, after having her brother take a toy from her, walk up from behind, grab Avery by the hair and pull him over backwards - the best part was she was only around 22 months old. She is raw, but pure, compassionate, yet focused. I know, scary for a 3 year old. But I know that this combination gives her the personality that will fight for what is right, and chase God with every ounce of her being.


There is a part of me that wishes I could be like Ally. She has this little twinkle in her eye, she does everything with passion, total abandonment. She is who she is, and you know exactly what you're gonna get. This is what Jesus is referring to in Mark 10:13-16:

"People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.' And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them."

The children run to Jesus, without hesitation, without caution. They haven't been conditioned by the world to follow social norms, to do what their earthly fathers say is right, they just know Jesus is love and they want to be near Him.


I pray that Allyson Grace will run to Jesus with full abandonment, without hindrance, and with the passion that I see on her face each and every day. Thank you Lord for giving me such a little blessing, one that I can see you shining through, one that reminds me to run after you with abandonment, and with the faith of a child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Ally is as sweet as you see her. I think she brought Asher into a little friendship too.

Abiel.

Joce said...

Wow! What truth you shared about God's love for children, us, His children. I'm friends of the Locke's and happened upon your blog. Thank you for the wonderful reminder to come to Him with unabandonment. God Bless you and your family.
Jocelyn