Sunday, January 20, 2008

Satan's Crappy Plan

I was having a conversation with my wife today about the movie Amazing Grace, the story of William Wilberforce and his fight to end the slave trade in England during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Wilberforce was a great man, and I think the movie was very good, but I kept thinking throughout the movie that there was a better story imbedded in this one, one of evil turned good, one of flesh overturned by the righteousness of Jesus, one that showed the true power of Christ, one of "amazing grace." That is the story of John Newton, the slave ship captain who brought literally thousands of Africans, shackled and naked to the shores of North American along the Triangle Trade routes of the Atlantic. As his ship was sinking during a violent storm, Newton prayed for God to save him. Newton lived, accepted Christ, but continued to captain slave ships. Eventually he became an Anglican priest, renounced the slave trade and completed the hymn "Amazing Grace," which is probably what he is most known for.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

To me, knowing the history behind the lyrics, gives a better understanding and deeper meaning to my own life. (See, there is a reason to study history!) I have a story of redemption and grace as well. My wife, also has an amazing story which nearly brings me to tears every time I read it, or hear it (if you want to read it, click here). We all have a story, a testimony of what God has done in our lives.

I began thinking of the Parable of the Sower a couple of days ago and then a speaker in church today mentioned it again, so I am taking it as God prompting me to write out my thoughts. The birds who come and eat up the seeds that the farmer is sowing represent trials, sins, poor choices, or even the Evil One himself, attempting to steal God's harvest. But what happens when a bird eats seeds off the ground? Eventually the bird craps it out and many times, completely unintentionally, the seed finds its way back to good soil, and now with a little fertilizer. The seed sends down roots, grows strong, yields a crop, and has a story to tell his children. Life’s trials get to us, but God allows it to strengthen us (see the book of Job), we make poor decisions, we sin, but God allows us to be redeemed (see King David). The greatest part of this version is that Satan, the thief, the liar, the Lion who comes at night to kill and devour thinks he has foiled God’s plan for you, but everything works for the good of the Lord, Satan crapped you out and gave you a story to share with possibly thousands of people who could be impacted by your life and could change the course of history and add to the Kingdom – ALL in God’s plan!
Take John Newton. Satan was doing exactly what he believed would do the most damage to God’s plans. Eventually, God uses Newton to inspire William Wilberforce to end the slave trade, and his story is portrayed in the lyrics to possibly the most famous Christian hymn of all time, impacting literally millions more.

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

4 comments:

Emie Kay said...

thanks 4 making the tears flow! great writing! emie

Kristian and Katy said...

I stumbled across your blog somehow tonight. Many folks in my little community here are similarly attempting to embrace a life of downward mobility, but have not yet experienced a circumstantial change to the extent that your family has. I'm really encouraged by you guys and look forward to following your story. I pray that God will give you much peace, clarity and wisdom as you embark on this new season. Thanks for sharing your life through the blogosphere.

Will Irwin said...

Andy,
Preach it brother. I feel the exact same way about Amazing grace. I felt John Newtons tears for his sins were the most profound part of the film

Kristian and Katy said...

Andy,

I work for an organization called Hope for New York www.hfny.org
Feel free to contact me there if you'd like to discuss possible connections - you can find my info on the website under About - Staff.

Hope to hear from you!