Tuesday, January 29, 2008

P-Town Thru KC

Leaning on Proverbs 16:9, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps," we set an estimated departure time for June 16th, 2008. We will be first heading to Boise, Idaho for a few weeks, and on July 1st begin the journey north to Kelowna, BC for the wedding of our friend Bahati on July 12th. On to Calgary, Alberta for 2 weeks, then Denver, Co. in late July and early August. We will then head east to Kansas City, Mo. in mid August. We will continue east from there, but this is the extent we are "planning."

What exactly will we be doing? Listening. Serving. Loving. Following God. The Lord is making it clear that we need to be open to anything. We plan to connect with ministry organizations, churches and other groups in Boise, Calgary, Denver, Kansas City and in between, but mainly we just want to show people that God loves them by demonstrating the love He has overflowed on to us.

I know, I know, this is way too vague for most of you. I would love for it to be more concrete too, but that usually isn't the way God operates. I envision us volunteering with organizations that serve the poor and marginalized. I see us working on our own to reach out to the homeless who live in the areas we come across. However, our prayer is to live like the early apostles: to spread the "good news." What exactly does that mean? Nearly every time Jesus or the disciples mention "spreading the good news," they also add "to the poor."

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners."

Isaiah 61:1

Many on the streets of America are tired of "hearing" about Jesus, they want to see Him move. We plan to "do" what He has anointed us to - spread the good news to the poor - what that is exactly going to look like only God knows.

4 comments:

Emie Kay said...

AMEN!! I'm so glad we aren't the only one's without concrete plans!! I was reading how many times Paul in his letters to churches says he hopes to come or plans to come or wanted to come but often the Lord would change his direction and he wouldn't end up where he intended. That has been a great comfort for me in these days! We love you guys!
emie

Anonymous said...

I thought we had to plan everything and do it our way. Man, if we have to seek God to see where he wants us to go. That will really slow us down:)

KI said...

totally off subject...how did you make your picture heading with the title on top? need to know, it's SO important in the scheme of life. :) -KI

Andy said...

Well, I backpacked way out into the wilderness in the Necklace Valley in the North Cascades, and in the middle of Jewel Lake, that logo popped up right when my brother was snapping the picture - AMAZING!

Sorry Krystal, I had to. Send me an email and I can let you know.