Monday, September 15, 2008

The Violence of Suburbia*

A few weeks ago I was having a conversation with a family who chose to relocate and serve God's people in a poor neighborhood in Kansas City. The wife brought up the topic of fear and specifically of the fear for her children while in a place that statistically is more violent and physically unsafe. She said that the Lord has released her from that burden and that the fear of having one of her children harmed or hurt has never been an issue. The Lord has done much of the same with Serenity and I. Many people have expressed (or thought) similar fears for us while on the road in what the world would view as unsafe and possibly violent urban areas.

I will admit that there have been times where I have felt unsafe, and I have removed my family from that situation -- I believe that was the prompting of the Holy Spirit, not fear. The violence in cities around the globe is so overt, it is in your face, it is obvious violence. The murders, the rapes, the muggings, the beatings, the blood, it is so obvious, it is so visual. What I am reminded of however, is a term that was discussed in the conversation we had in Kansas City: "The violence of suburbia." This type of violence is subversive, it is hidden, and it breeds in complacency. The Old Testament prophets, long before the 20th century creation of the suburb, spoke out about it. This violence isn't brought about by guns and knives, but by materialism, by greed, by consumerism, these all bring on death. This is what Derek Webb was writing about in his song "This too shall be made right."

I don't know the suffering of people outside my front door
I join the oppressors of those I choose to ignore
I'm trading comfort for human life
and that's not just murder it's suicide
This too shall be made right

This is by no means a justification of the physical violence that is prevalent in our cities today, but rather, it is born from a desire for God's people to wake up and see that God counts these hidden, and sometimes unrecognized, sins just the same as when blood spills on the streets. And as the mother in Kansas City said: "I'm not willing to see my children grow up with a sense or understanding that materialism and consumerism are acceptable and that violence only happens in poor, urban neighborhoods."

*Postscript: I still own a house in suburbia. I'm wrestling with all of this myself :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy,
Your comments about houses and suburbia are very interesting and debatable. I think that you hit the nail on the head when you describe general attitudes of many in the suburbs. However I think that attitudes can stink no matter what class of society you live in and no matter what is over your head when you sleep. It is not the building or the location that is the sin, it is our attitudes and actions that lead to sin.
I think that it is normal to want to have a shack that does not leak that can offer a warm shower etc. I think that it is abnormal to want to sleep on concrete in cardboard. I do not think however that either one is morally wrong.
Life is complicated but let's face it, you could really have taken this a step in a non- suburbia direction if you would have chosen draft horses and a carriage to transport your family rather than a fast food veggie oil guzzling RV! Ha!