Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What are you holding on to?

If you know me very well, you might know that I don't necessarily think about the future too much. I'm kinda a "here-and-now" kind of guy. I compartmentalize and the smallest compartment I have is "thinking-about-the-future." I view it as a positive attribute, but it could also be looked at as negative. This is different than a lack of vision. I steer clear of anything my family might be hurt by, I'm not an idiot when it comes to finances, etc., etc., it's just when I have something this week, I don't think about what is happening the week after. As Jesus said, "do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

In my view it really simplifies things.

This past week I have started to stress about the sale of our house, something I don't usually do. Thoughts of urgency run through my head when I think about us leaving in a little more than 100 days. A small little knot tightens up in my stomach and I begin to think of solutions. When I begin to think of solutions I completely cut God out of the equation. I take something that requires God and attempt to use my pea-sized brain to solve it. Among other things, it is impossible.

So I'm sitting in a meeting with my principal and another teacher about social studies curriculum for next year and the topic comes up about who is going to replace me and when the search can start. I quickly said, well I will resign as soon as my house sells. Instantly I began thinking - why? Why wait until then? Am I not going to go in June? Why have you not resigned? God gave me a message: "What are you holding on to? Resign today." Here I am stressing about the future when God is asking me to focus on ways I can believe in Him today.

Doesn't thinking in the now simplify things?

So, I'm resigning, today.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I resigned at noon and Andrea got a call from someone wanting to come and look at their house that afternoon. God is working!

Matt Schwab said...

Awesome.

ChaffeeFam said...

Way to step out Andy!