Monday, February 18, 2008

THE END OF A SEASON

I won't miss teaching. The bureaucracy, the in-services, the literacy trainings - won't miss them. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of good days teaching, and most of the time I don't mind getting out of bed and going to work. For the first time in 7 years I shared my testimony to each of my classes - I mean no holds barred testimony. I shared the gospel and told a bunch of public high school kids what God has done in my life, how he has helped me recover from alcohol and drug abuse, from sexual sin, and from other areas I have struggled in and given me a new heart. How I still struggle to be who He has called me to, but one thing I know for sure is that He loves me and that is who I am, the son of the supreme Abba, my Father. I have had a lot of conversations with students since September, and not one phone call from a parent. I connected with one of my student's parents at a parent-teacher conference in October and they are now dear friends and prayer warriors for us.

It's kinda funny, this year, I feel that I have finally been obedient to God when he has asked me to step out in faith and share with students. His Spirit has been with me at school convicting me and shaping me to be a better representation of Christ to the people I'm around. This is my last year, and I finally feel like I am doing what He has asked me to - I feel like I'm figuring it out, and now I'm leaving. Isn't that how God works, using the time in one place to shape you for the next.

One thing I will miss however is coaching. I have been the head wrestling coach for 5 years at Woodburn High School. When I took the program over in 2003 we had a total of 17 kids in the entire program. We hadn't had a state placer since 1999, and we were last in the Pac9 conference. It has been tough, but we have gotten better. In 2003 we placed 2, with one making the state finals and losing a close match 4-3. In 5 years I have had 10 placers, and placed as high as 12th in the state. We have gradually improved in our league, going from last, to this year placing 5th. We were one match away from winning the Mid Willamette League dual meet title. We went 15-4 in dual meets this season, the best WHS has done since 1990. We finished this season with 42 kids on the team. Not bad in 5 years.

I have realized though that it will never end. The program could improve to the point where we are winning state titles and I would never be satisfied. I would always want to win another, back-to-back, three in a row, and on and on. He has reminded me what is important. Even though I am able to speak into the lives of these young men, He has something else for me, the season is changing, and I am accepting that. The Holy Spirit has also worked in another way - reminding me that God is in control. Win or lose, God is in control, and I am not defined by being a winner or a loser, I am defined by being the son of the supreme Abba Father.

I will miss it. Wrestling is one of the most rewarding sports to coach. You can tell an athlete to do something standing 5 feet away from him, he does it, and all the sudden his opponent is on his back and the match is over. Instant gratification. To tell you the truth, I will miss the early mornings, the 7am weigh-ins. I'm pretty sure my wrestlers won't miss the Bulldog drills, or the 4-lines, but I will. I know it is a cliche, but is literally true in wrestling: the blood, sweat and tears will be missed too. We should be on the East Coast next February and I have already told Tim that we will need to stop in and see the Georgia state wrestling tournament.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I must say that you are an amazing wrestling coach. I had fun at the state meet, but you could never drag me to another wrestling meet. So I hope you have fun in Georgia, I'll be in the RV:)