Sunday, May 2, 2010

What Jesus Left Out

In Luke 4 Jesus returns to Nazareth and stands up in the synagogue, probably the same synagogue he went to as a child and young adult. He simply stands, finds where the prophet Isaiah wrote these words:
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
. . . "then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down." But he left something out. Something that seems pretty crucial to the actual verse in Isaiah. Here is the passage in Isaiah:
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor

and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn."
I'm wondering why? Anybody have any thoughts why Jesus would read all of Isaiah 61:1-2a, but leave out 2b: that he has come to proclaim "the day of vengeance of our God." Is Jesus trying to tell us something by not telling us something?

No comments: