Sunday, September 23, 2007

Everything

Everything
Tim Hughes

God in my living

There in my breathing
God in my waking
God in my sleeping
 God in my resting
There in my working
God in my thinking
God in my speaking
 
Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything
 
God in my hoping
There in my dreaming
God in my watching
God in my waiting
 
God in my laughing
There in my weeping
God in my hurting
God in my healing
 
Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
You are everything
 
Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
Be my everything

I've been pondering the lyrics to this song recently. I actually have the song stuck in my head right now. I desperately want to be in this place, where my every moment is focused on Him. I guess that is what the lyrics are asking for "Be my everything." The song also eludes that the only way this will happen is if Christ is "in us." The Holy Spirit. It is such an abstract concept, it is tough for my concrete-sequential mind to understand. I'm starting to though, be patient.

I have felt some freedom through an understanding of a concept that I have known, but not really "known" (if you know what I mean). Here it is: before we know God, before we are Christians, we are our sin, our sin comes from within us. When we experience a true conversion, we become lily white, we are pure in God's eyes, He no longer sees our sins, we are no longer sin. So, my line of thought would be, OK, then why do I keep sinning, why am I tempted? Becoming a believer doesn't stop us from sinning, we still have free will, the revolution is that we are no longer the originator of those sins, we no longer own it. The temptation, the sin comes from something outside of you, it comes from Satan. Ephesians 4:12 says "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." We are no longer an enemy. Our nature is no longer the enemy, our enemy is in a realm we can't even see, that is why the Holy Spirit is so critical in our battle. The Holy Spirit is EVERYTHING. It is literally, "Christ in me." Without Him, how could we battle against "spiritual forces of evil" we can't even see.

The truth is that the only way we can make it through this difficult world is if we have Christ in us. That is why I desperately want God to be my everything. In my living, breathing, waking, sleeping, resting, working, thinking, speaking, hoping, dreaming, watching, waiting, laughing, weeping, hurting, healing, (and writing), BE MY EVERYTHING!


1 comment:

jake said...

I am so excited for you guys! I love the song Everything. It is where I am asking the Lord to have me live too! It truly is, where I think, we find true freedom; God in all